Saturday, March 20, 2010

"Score One For Liquor And Poor Judgement"

I have written several stories about my husband and his antics, and so I've decided that it's only fair that I be willing to share more of mine. Here goes...

Have you every had a day when you just felt like you were so stressed you couldn't stand it another minute? Well, guess what? I have, and on one such occasion I decided I had to get out of the house and relax. I was thinking a low-key "girls night" would be just what I needed, and so I called one of my oldest and dearest friends.

The conversation started with me saying I was covered up in stress and it was coming from so many directions I didn't even know how to deal with it and I had to get out.
She said come on over here and we'll hang out and have a couple of drinks. Well I have to tell you, I couldn't get in my car quick enough.

When I arrived at her house her sister was also there and she said have as many drinks as you want, and I'll drive you home, because I'm not going to be drinking. Perfect!!

I began by saying that I'd have Crystal Light Sunrise (it's like orange juice)and Grey Goose Vodka. I explained that I wanted the vodka and crystal light because I didn't want to be sucking down carbs ... I was staying away from those.

About three or four or who knows how many drinks into the evening, a terrible thing happened....the Grey Goose bottle was suddenly empty...I just looked at my friend and said "now what?". She said "girl don't worry I've got something else we can drink".

She then preceded to open the cabinet door and take out a bottle of Patron. Yep tequila...oh and it gets better....she got something else out of the cabinet too...a shot glass. It was only a matter of seconds before I declared the shots a great idea, and I made the executive decision to join her..

Oh yes we were about to hook ourselves up, but with our judgement being so impaired by the Goose, we had no idea.

We were laughing, talking,and doing shots..one after the other... we had the music on... and my friend was even dancing around in her kitchen, when it wasn't her turn to take a shot, of course. I, however,chose to remain seated. At least I believe it was a choice, but in retrospect I can't actually say that I'm all that clear on it.

Somewhere between midnight and one in the morning I remember declaring myself relaxed and saying that it was time to go home. I left my car at her house and her sister drove me home. My dear friend came along to keep me company.

I vaguely remember my 19 year old son holding the door open for me, and I believe he may have been laughing at me, but again....not clear. I managed to get into the house and lay across my bed, and then, like magic, the next thing I know it was noon the next day.

I woke up because my phone was letting me know I had received a text message...I felt blindly on my bedside table for it, and eased it over onto the bed with me. It was a message from my friend, and she was asking me if I was awake...I replied by saying "define awake"..

She responded with girl...I came to work and clocked in, then I had to call my Sergeant and tell him I wasn't feeling well, and now I'm back at home laying across my bed. "What are you doing?", she asked. "Ditto", I replied.

I received one more text message from her that morning, and it said, and I quote, "We are both dumb a@#es, and I am never drinking again". Well I thought, that about summed it up, so I felt no need to send a response. Instead I just fell face down on my pillow,and began to moan and try to form a strategy on possibly getting some medication and making it into the hot shower.

My first move was to the aspirin bottle and then to the shower. I felt a little better after that, but I'm not saying I ate dinner that evening or anything. I can report that recovery time from a big night of fun with your friends after forty is a bit slower than it is when you're in your 20's...

I don't suppose I'll make anymore great decisions like that anytime soon, but I did accomplish my mission to relax, and I love my friend dearly for going along for the ride...

but to be honest..if I never see another bottle of Patron it will be to soon, and I have to admit, it was definitely a score one for liquor and poor judgement kinda night.......

No comments:

 
Words Of A Southern Lady. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino