Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"The Great Outdoors"

I have joked in previous blogs about how I felt about outdoor activities when I was a little girl.

Since I have become an adult, however, my feelings about being outdoors have changed a bit.

There are things about nature that I enjoy now, that I would never have been able to appreciate as a child.

One thing that I enjoy is walking the nature trails in some of the parks and mountains in north Georgia. I haven't done it in a long while because my husband has no interest in doing it, and I'm afraid to go alone.

I had one fishing experience as a child. I was about eight or nine years old. My Dad bought fishing rods for me and my brothers and sisters, and we all went to the lake.

My dad baited my hook and helped me cast my line out. I was all set. Within ten minutes I realized that I had a fish on my line. I began reeling it in, but as soon as I had a visual on the fish, I stopped reeling and began yelling for my Dad.

My Dad was a helping my brothers and sisters get ready to fish, but was trying to get to me as quickly as he could. Meanwhile, since I had stopped reeling so soon there was an excess of line for the fish to flip and flop around on.

This caused the line to start swinging and the fish slapped against my thigh....that did it for me. I threw rod, reel, fish and all right into the lake. My Dad arrived just in time to watch it sink.

I think he was upset with me because he couldn't begin to wrap his mind around why I had done something like that. He was, however, able to handle it well in the end.He just looked at me and said "don't worry about it, Go and get a chair and sit down and watch your brothers and sisters."
He was shaking his head as he walked away, and I never got another fishing rod.

I have since had many successful fishing trips as an adult. Each and every year our class of special needs students goes on a fishing trip that I really enjoy.

I think my attitude has changed because now, I appreciate the beauty of the lake and the peace and quiet that comes with fishing. It doesn't hurt that I've learned that you can fish with shrimp and small pieces of hotdog so that no worms have to be involved.

There are also several partners from the community that help us with our students so when I get lucky and catch a fish, one of the men are always willing to take it off the hook for me. Overall it's always a great day.

I also love being out on the lake in a boat. I love the feeling of the wind combined with the warmth of the sun. I do keep my face out of the sun now all that I can, but being a sun worshiper from way back, I do love the feel of it on my skin.

Another thing that I would enjoy doing would be going on a romantic picnic. The type with wine and a blanket, deep conversation and quiet cuddle time, but as I may have mentioned before my husband would need Merriam Webster's help with the word romantic, so I probably won't be experiencing that any time soon.

One of my very favorite outdoor things to do is go to the beach. I could walk the shoreline indefinitely. I also love being on the beach with a good book and a beverage. (preferably something with an umbrella in it signifying that it contains alcohol)

When I sit and listen to the sounds of the ocean waves, and watch them crest one over the other, I am in such awe at its magnitude and beauty, and it brings me such a great opportunity for introspective thought and surrounds me with such a feeling of peace....There really are no words for it.

I'm not sure how anyone could see, hear, and feel the ocean and deny that there is a God.

I have not gotten the opportunity to see just how adventurous I could be on a hiking or camping trip now, because I feel like to be in the woods I need a man with me, and my husband isn't interested in doing either one.

I know that some people may think that my saying that I need a man is a neanderthal Idea, and are probably getting all Gloria Steinem on me right now for saying it, but they can hit the woods alone if they so desire. I'll take the man.....

I might even be willing to spend one night in a tent.....providing, of course, that the conditions were right and the right man was present...(I have learned a few other things since I've grown up.)

After writing this I've decided that I want to start doing more things outdoors.....Spring is coming, and that is a wonderful time to be outside.... I do realize, however, that I'm either going to have to try to talk my husband into doing more things I want to do, or enlist my friends. I'm going to enjoy spending all that time with my friends...

No comments:

 
Words Of A Southern Lady. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino