Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"Childhood Memories"

I often think about my childhood and the memories that are etched in my mind are not ones of toys or gifts, but ones of people and moments, smells, sounds, and feelings of the heart.

I remember my Mother always being there to do what ever she could for me. Taking me to school events,and talking to me when my feelings were hurt, or I was just feeling down about something. I can hear her Saying "be sweet" as I went out the door with my friends from school.

I remember shopping sprees in Atlanta, eating at the Magnolia Room, and going to the Fox Theater. I remember my mother teaching me the precise moment to remove my gloves from my hands and put them in my purse. I loved it! She was constantly training me in the ways of being a lady and I appreciate all that she taught me.

I remember my father always keeping the yard in perfect order, and cooking on the grill. I remember my friends calling him "Boss man" because his presence was so great in our home. A freezer full of Ice cream all summer because he knew we liked it. The smell of my mom's perfume and his aftershave in their bedroom ....

Christmas mornings with all of my brothers and sisters in our new pj's and the feeling of closeness as we all sat on the church pew together every Sunday morning listening to the preacher followed by a few verses of Just As I Am..........I remember the smell of a spring morning at my granny's house. I can close my eyes and hear the birds singing and smell the bacon cooking as I watched the sun come up behind her house. I remember listening to the window fan as it drew cool air in, and the slam of the screen door you would hear when someone came in from outside.

I can see my grandfather sitting on the couch watching a Braves game and not paying attention to anything else around him. I remember the look in my grandparents eyes that let me know that they thought that any and everything that I did was amazing. That look was always so full of love for me that it was almost tangible. My Aunt Bessie's Jergens Lotion is another favorite smell from my childhood. I loved sitting in the glider with her or sitting in the porch swing together on Confederate Avenue in Atlanta.

I felt the same love from her as I did from my grandparents. The days of Grant Park and old Atlanta are gone now, and my grandparents and Aunt Bessie are gone as well......the sting of their loss is with me everyday and will be with me until I see them again in Heaven.

My parents are divorced and my brothers and sisters are busy with families of their own but we still all get together when we can and it's always special to me, and When we do there is always a love in the room so strong you can almost touch it..... I always remember to feel it, and say thank you Lord for another day and another precious memory to hold in my heart.

No comments:

 
Words Of A Southern Lady. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino